The Recovery Process After an Eye Lift
An eye lift is a cosmetic procedure that is often performed to reduce bagginess from the lower eyelids. The treatment also works on the upper eyelids to remove excess skin. Generally, an eye lift procedure is required for older adults that experience sagging upper eyelids due to aging; pull from gravity and lack of elasticity in such people lead to excessive skin accumulation on the lower and upper eyelids.
As mentioned earlier, people aged 35 years or over are the ideal candidates for an eyelift treatment. However, if baggy eyelids run in your family, you might require this treatment earlier. It is to be noted here that you need to be in good health to undergo this cosmetic procedure.
Like most people that are about to receive or have received an eyelift treatment, if you too are worried about the recovery time and process involved with the same, here is a detailed write-up on it for better understanding.
Immediate Care to be Taken After an Eyelift Surgery
- Your eyelids feel tight after the procedure. Some patients might experience soreness that can be easily treated with analgesics.
- Treat the incisions with an ointment to ensure lubrication for a couple of days after the eyelift surgery.
- To reduce swelling, you can use cold packs over the eyes.
- Eye drops will be required in most of the cases to make sure the eyes don’t dry.
Care During the First Week After the Eyelift Procedure
- Do not read, wear contacts, watch Television or expose your eyes to a computer monitor. These activities dry up your eyes.
- Bruising and swelling are common, temporary effects observed after an eyelift surgery but these symptoms diminish by themselves quickly. As far as possible, keep your head elevated for the first few days.
- Your cosmetic professional will remove the stitches anytime between 3-7 days after the treatment. This will make you will feel comfortable.
Care During the Following Weeks
- You need to use dark sunglasses for a couple of weeks in order to protect your eyes from dust, wind, Sun and other pollutants present in the air. If you expose your eyes to UV rays, wind or any pollutant for that matter, your eyes get irritated, delaying the recovery period.
- Frequent naps are advised; your eyes tire easily after the surgery hence sufficient rest is required.
- Avoid crying and activities such as bending, lifting and sporting. These activities increase the blood supply to your eyes instantly which might be hard to cope with for your tired eyes.
While there are some mild side effects, the results after an eyelift are amazing. It is just that you need to comply with your medical professional’s advice. The recovery period after the procedure varies with individuals but generally it takes about 7-10 days to resume routine activities. Once you have recovered, you will realize that it was all worth, when you will be ready to show off a more youthful look!